Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Blogging the Bog...

This is a picture of our 'shared' office toilets, and I have some issues with them (unsurprisingly!).
I think the picture says it all but there are also no locks anywhere, and you feel like you are in a barn..

Infact, now I come to think of it, you are in a barn.

There are 2 toilets, yet quite frankly I would not want to share my toilet time in such an "open" area. We have learnt the best way to do the mercy dash to the toilet, first we alert other office members to where we are going to be sure we do not have company, we then cross the yard checking for any other same sex members with the same idea. If the case is clear you're in and out as quick as you can. The western style barn doors are at just the right (or maybe wrong) height that if you enter the room you can not see if someone is behind them until you are on top of them.

We are yet to work out which is more shameful - being walked in on whilst on the toilet, or encroaching onto someone else's toilet time. I do not know, but what I do know is that so far I have been lucky where others have not.

My colleague walked in on someone who had just finished up and all she could see was her head bobbing around above the door. Slightly embarrassed and upon making eye contact she asked if the lady was a cleaner and apologised for disturbing her. The women replied "No, I am not the cleaner, I have just been sat on the toilet!".

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Martha said...

I miss not working in the office as I miss having company but I do like to be on my own when going to the toilet!

Glad you have worked out a system. Bless you all!

2:41 PM  
Blogger Simes said...

You've got to have a cistern.

With doors like that I expect to see a brawl happening inside. How exciting!

2:58 PM  
Blogger Princess Sarah said...

Oh dear...I do feel sorry for you.

I am very fussy with my toilet/privacy habits too, and those doors not would not make me happy.

In my old office, the (single) toilet was in reception. Now that was embarrasing!

I hope you are able to employ good communication methods with the other users. Perhaps some old fashioned whistling or singing wouldn't go amiss. Good luck!

Sarah x

3:06 PM  
Blogger Random Reflections said...

Perhaps you could put a "vacant"/ "in use" sign on the door. It might save a few embarassing moments.

Of course then a long queue could form when someone forgets to turn the sign back to vacant and there is no-one actually in there. You'll just have to sing each time you go to the toilet, it's the only answer.

8:30 PM  
Blogger Beverley Cuddy said...

Not long till we move back to our old office Jen - keep crossing your legs.

Three toilets to choose from there - all with locks and doors that go all the way down to the floor. We didn't realise they were luxury features until now.

Not sure who designed these loos at our temporary offices, but they couldn't have made them much less welcoming.

For a while I assumed there was always someone in the other cubicle - only after a few weeks did I work out that by opening the door you're setting off a fan! I have to say if we stayed much longer at Pennypot Lane I think we'd have to invest in a Portapotty - or stop drinking tea.

Do you think "Pennypot" has some sort of lavatorial origins? Certainly wouldn't pay a penny to pee in one in our weird office loos.

I'm amazed you hung around in there long enough to take a photo!

10:20 PM  
Blogger Caroline said...

I would have the same issues as you! I'd either not go or carry something large with me to put behind the door or you could pay someone to be on wee watch or you could take roooooobeeeeeeee.

I am FULL of wonderful ideas today.
x

9:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home