Saturday, July 07, 2007

Diagnosis...

I have been formerly diagnosed with having Tourette Syndrome from a neurologist, a doctor, a doctor neurologist, in his 50's, he must know what he is talking about. I trust him, he was nice to me.

I am not sure what it feels like. If I was more clued up with my emotions I like to think I would find it easy to tell you. Which is, interestingly, another "Tourettes thing" - emotions and finding them hard to understand. Almost like a different language. Tourettes and Autism are on the same spectrum and are very closely linked, so it would seem that my difficulties with emotions are all part of the same package.

Its a relief, I feel lighter, I feel understood. I don't have to beat myself up anymore. That bit of me, the bit that always wants to make noises and twitch, I can accept it, I can allow that bit of me to be me. It doesn't feel so lonely anymore, to ostracise a part of yourself is a very lonely feeling indeed.

I feel like I have suddenly been given permission to stand up for myself, it feels like I have myself back on my side again.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Jon M said...

Yay for diagnoses (is that the plural?). Good!

9:04 PM  
Blogger But Why? said...

Hurrah for that!

I feel some sort of celebration is in order. Anyone for an Old Speckled Hen?

11:02 AM  
Blogger Random Reflections said...

That's great about the diagnosis - being able to understand what had been going on all this time and also to feel understood.

Acceptance is a really important thing.

1:45 PM  
Blogger Ms Melancholy said...

Hey Badger, fab news. Being 'got' is so important to all of us, but particularly if we feel different in some way. I'm glad he gets you. And you are on your side! Yay!

8:16 PM  
Blogger Robin said...

Wooo! For being officially NeuroDiverse :o)

I am glad diagnosis has allowed you to feel more free in yourself. This is a good thing.

Onwards and upwards madam Badger!

9:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home